Uganda Gorilla trekking-Hiking Safaris
This 4 day Uganda Gorilla trekking and hiking safari is an outdoor adventure into the tropical forest of Bwindi and hiking Mt Sabinyo. Bwindi impenetrable national park is located in the southwestern part of Uganda. Being the home of over half of the world’s mountain gorillas, the park is the most popular safari destination in Uganda. Furthermore, this Uganda safari takes you hiking in the Virunga ranges for a day’s hike. On this hiking safari, you will be hiking Mt Sabinyo.
4 day Uganda Gorilla trekking and hiking Safari highlights
- Gorilla trekking
- Hiking Mt Sabinyo
- Visiting Equator Monument and hemispheric experiments
4 day Uganda Gorilla trekking and hiking safari detailed itinerary
Day 1: Transfer to Bwindi impenetrable national park
This 4 day Uganda Gorilla trekking and hiking safari will commence with a short briefing. We will then depart for Bwindi with a scenic drive along Masaka road. A breakfast stop at the Equator will give us a chance for some memorable pictures at the Equator monument. Proceed to Bwindi through Mbarara, Ntungamo and Kabale town. The lunch stopover in Kabale offers scenic view of the terraced hills and the spectacular hills. The short drive from Kabale to Bwindi last about 2 hours. On arrival at the lodge, we will check in and enjoy the evening sunset coupled with the views of the pristine forest.
Day 2: Gorilla trekking in Bwindi and transfer to Kisoro.
Gorilla trekking is one of the most thrilling safari activities in Uganda. Trekking through the thick jungle, with raw smells of the clean air is an adventure on its own. During this gorilla trekking safari, we will have an early breakfast before proceeding to the park headquarters for a briefing. The rangers will give us the guidelines to follow during our gorilla trekking expedition.
Armed with a walking stick, plenty of drinking water and a packed lunch, we will venture into the forest in search of the gorillas. Depending on the location of the gorillas, the trek usually lasts up to 2 hours before the encounter with the apes. When we encounter the gorillas, you will be amazed at the gentility of these big apes. You will be encouraged by the rangers to take as many pictures and videos as you can. After the trek, we will return to the lodge and check out for Kisoro. The winding roads offer scenic views and good photo opportunities. On arrival in Kisoro, we will check into the lodge as we prepare for the next day’s hiking safari.
Day 3: Hiking Mt Sabinyo.
Mt Sabinyo is one of the 3 mountain ranges that form Mgahinga gorilla national park. Other mountain ranges are Mt Muhabura and Mt Gahinga. The mountain raises 3,669m above sea level. At the park headquarters, you will be briefed about the hike. Make sure to carry enough water, packed lunch, energy bars and a walking stick. The hike up the mountain will take up to 5 hours while the descent is 3hours. Mt Sabinyo has 2 peaks with the main peak shared between Uganda DR Congo and Rwanda. This hiking safaris will allow you to enjoy the doors with amazing scenic views of the other mountain ranges. On returning to the lodge, you will relax and enjoy an evening camp fire.
Day 4: Transfer to Kampala.
This is the last day of our 4 day Uganda Gorilla trekking and hiking safari and we will depart Kisoro for Kampala. There is more scenic views of the ranges and the rolling hills of Kabale. Enjoy a nice lunch at Igongo cultural center before proceeding to Kampala. On arrival, our guide will drop you at your hotel, place of residence or airport.
Uganda Gorilla trekking tips
- Due to the fact that gorillas eat on the move, be sure to keep a comfortable pace while taking in plenty of fluids.
- You are not allowed to drink, eat or smoke in the presence of the gorillas.
- Since Bwindi is a tropical forest, you are advised to carry waterproof clothes (Jacket) in case it rains.
- Comfortable hiking boots are highly recommended for good hiking experiences.
- Garden gloves are a bonus as they will protect you against stinging shrubs.
- Protect yourself against scratches and bugs by wearing trousers and long sleeved shirts
- Videos and photos are permitted but without the flash mode.
- Porters are available to help you carry your day pack for a small charge.
- Clothes: Long sleeved shorts will fend off the insects while a waterproof jacket will protect you if it rains.
- Comfortable sturdy hiking boots/shoes go a long way to enhancing your hiking experience.
- Since this is a day’s hike, you are advised to carry lunch and energy giving snacks. More so, carry a lot of drinking water.
- First Aid kit for minor scratches or joint pains. Toiletries are necessary since you be hiking for the day.